Keep No Silence About Your Academic Needs




I am entering my eight academic year working as a professional in a college setting. It is definitely a life-enriching opportunity for me. In my current position, I have become aware of one of the most common and puzzling attitudes students often display. It is the feeling of shame when it comes to seeking for help; particularly academic help.

When I worked for the former TRIO/ McNair Scholars Program at Marian University, I remember telling students: “don’t be silent about your needs.”  I shared that piece of advice with them because I remembered exactly what happened to me when I needed help and I did not do anything about it. More importantly, there were also times when I sought help regarding my academic needs. Those days, I will never regret them. 


Helping handEvery day to this day, I get to enjoy the results of not remaining silent about my academic needs. Here is an example. 

With English being my third language, I vividly remember how helpful it was for me to visit the Writing Center at Marian with many of my assignments. Yes, there is a lot of writing assignments in college. For instance, it never pleased me when my grades suffered because of improper grammar use in many of my Business classes. As a result, I had decided to invest some time in seeking for help with my writing. 

[I now hope what I am writing makes sense to you. I am still trying to improve my English. :) ]

In my role now as the director of the Upward Bound Math and Science Program, it has become clear to me that many students still feel embarrassed when it comes to getting academic help.

Since this past academic year, the UBMS program at Marian has offered tutoring services to program participants, with the ultimate objective of enabling them to improve their grades and their confidence in subjects that are challenging to them. The tutoring services are not meant to expose students and their weaknesses. It is rather a way to ensure that the academic needs of each of them are being met as they prepare for a college education.

Very often, in one-on-one conversations, I ask students to fast forward in time and think about the following two scenarios:   
  1. Looking back on your education (high school, college, and beyond) and remembering going to tutoring sessions. 
  2. Reviewing your transcripts, reminiscing about the missed opportunities to get help in improving grades.
I am certain that most, student would prefer scenario number one. Being brave can allow this scenario to become a reality for you. Think about all the possible great things that can happen in your life as a result of obtaining good grades.

Students, as you start another school year, I would like to challenge you in making some positive time investments in your own educational advancement. Ask for academic help. Go to tutoring. Sometimes, you may think that you don’t need it and you get surprised at the end of a grading period. Don’t let that happen to you. Be proactive. Be preventive. Be engaged. Join a tutoring session. Talk to someone who can help you improve your grades. If you are a participant in the UBMS program at Marian University, talk to one of us (Team UBMS).

Contrary to what you may believe, asking for help will not make you look foolish. It is certainly tough to struggle in a particular class. However, it is not a shameful decision to take the steps to improve your grades. Get some academic help. That’s where your pride should be. Trust me; there is a lot of pride and advantages in getting good grades. You will “love the way you look” with good grades.

Ultimately, there is absolutely no shame in learning.

Director of the UBMS program at Marian University 
 


Comments