Tuesday, June 28, 2016
The UBMS Summer Program for 2016 has officially begun! It remains extremely rewarding to see the excitement the students, instructors, and UBMS team hold for the remaining six weeks. The students were rightfully introduced to the summer program on Opening Day with the help of the UBMS team, Marian staff and faculty, and Paradigm Shift. Students were reminded of the effort and dedication put into the existence of this program on behalf of the UBMS team and Marian staff and faculty. After Garry Moise, Marian President Dr. Andrew P. Manion, Ph.D., and the UBMS team had addressed the students, Paradigm Shift introduced the students to a variety of enriching team building activities. It was great to see all the students interacting with each other, the UBMS team, and the teaching assistants. While the activities organized by Paradigm Shift allowed the students to experience carefree fun amongst each other, each activity remained constructive as each possessed underlying meanings and valuable messages. Not only did this allow the students to get to know and understand each other and the UBMS team members/teaching assistants on a more advanced level, but also provided them with the opportunity to see how valuable team work and leadership truly are in any setting. The students additionally were given the opportunity to apply all they had learned about team work, leadership, dedication, and hard work to school, homework, and preparations for college. The activities organized by Paradigm Shift were a wonderfully constructive learning experience and an excellent way to kick off the start of the Summer 2016 program!
Monday, March 21, 2016
Spring break is an exciting and refreshing time of the year for most students. After sitting through weeks of classes following winter break, it’s about time that students, and teachers, should get to enjoy the spring air. The notorious question may begin to stew in one’s head… What am I going to do over break? After reading this post perhaps ones question could be answered. This spring break maybe you could pledge to do something new and stay active both mentally and physically.
2016 Spring Break Idea List:
- To exercise your inner creativeness, look on Pinterest and find a project to accomplish. If you already have something in mind, such as creating your own fishing pole or making homemade cupcakes, look up Youtube tutorials to help you begin your new adventure.
- To exercise your physical needs, take your bike out of the garage and pump up those tires. Try and go on a 30 minute bike ride everyday- maybe this could be a family activity. If you don’t have a bike, or you can’t find yours, go on a two mile walk or pick up a new pastime like running.
- To exercise your social needs, put your phone down- of course after you make your plans. Ask your friends if they want to meet up at the park and have a picnic, to try out your cooking skills, or go to the movies on Tuesday- $5 days.
- To exercise your mind, get an app to keep your brain working. After all you do want to keep your brain sharp so you seem like the smartest person at school the following week. Some brain game ideas are Lumosity Mobile, Elevate – Brain Training, and Fit Brains Trainer- Guess what they are all FREE on your smartphone or tablet!
- Finally, get all your assigned homework done the first couple days of break. Once you finish, you will be able to enjoy the break and not think about school. (Except for maybe reading a book, or two, and playing some brain games)
A week off of school does not seem like a long time but in reality it is 305 hours. Before it gets too late and you keep questioning what to do, think of a new idea and stay active too.